The AI & Metaverse Technology Task Force (AIM TF) is an approved task force of the ToIP Technology Stack Working Group (TSWG).
The mission of TSWG AI & Metaverse Technology Task Force (AIM TF) is to create recommendations for the ToIP community to address opportunities and challenges brought on by advances in AI, Metaverse and related technologies within the overarching ToIP mission of creating interoperable trust over the Internet.
- In one aspect, AI technologies may break the traditional assumptions of digital systems design, even most of the SSI systems or other decentralized systems.
- In another aspect, AR/VR/XR/Metaverse, combined with AI, may fundamentally alter/blur/erase the boundaries between digital and the real world. After all, you face is your identity, whether you choose it or not, and anyone can create that implied identity without your permission or even knowledge. Once it is in a system, it has a life of its own. It is something missing today but critically important if we want our solutions be useful in the next 5-10 years.
- Metaverse and web3 are two intertwined drivers in pushing many trust related issues and technologies to the forefront of defining what is the next internet or the next web.
- AI technology raises critical ethical issues with regard to how we think about trust over the internet, e.g. fairness, privacy and accountability. All these aspects, and more generally, AI ethics and harm prevention, point to the importance and relevance of the intersection between Trust and AI.
- Other topics:
- Trustworthiness of data
- How the AIs work with each other
- How does a person determine trustworthiness "on the fly"
- More to be explored at the beginning of the Task Force's work
A Venn diagram conveniently outlines the scope of the Task Force's work.
The mission of this task force is to identify the issues brought on by these technology developments and provide a recommendation for a roadmap of future work in ToIP. We plan to accomplish this in two phases:
- The first phase is exploratory: to conduct survey studies to come to a common understanding of how the technologies of AI/Metaverse and Trust intersect & impact ToIP's current mission. The output can be one or more White Papers.
- The second phase is to synthesize an actionable Recommendation and/or White Papers for ToIP.
The two phases should not be seen as strictly serial of course. They will overlap as the Task Force feel ready to produce deliverables in some topics while continuing in exploring new areas. The following diagram illustrates the Task Force's work roadmap (reviewed in Dec 2022 and Jan 2023).
Our survey, introduction, discussion, and other exploratory work is organized as a series of speakers. The current list of speakers and the link to the meetings where they presented are listed in the table below. We invite all who have interest in presenting a topic related to the Task Force's work please be in contact with the Co-Chairs Anita Rao and/or Wenjing Chu .
|No.||Speakers||Date||Topic||Link to Minutes & Recordings||Notes|
|1||July 21, 2022||What is AI? What is Metaverse? How Do They Intersection with Trust?||2022-07-21 AIM TF Meeting Notes||The top of the meeting notes contains link to Zoom Recording|
Zaïda Rivai , Danutech
|August 4, 2022||Issues in AI & Metaverse||2022-08-04 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
Mary Lacity , Uni. of Arkansas - Walton
|August 18, 2022||SSI Principles - Do we need to revisit for AI and metaverse?||2022-08-18 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
Mary did not use a title - I added the topic here from her last slide in the deck - noted by Wenjing Chu
Daniel Bachenheimer , Accenture
|Sept 1, 2022||On Biometrics||2022-09-01 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
|7||Vivek Nair and Gonzalo Munilla, UC Berkeley & TU Munich||Sept 15, 2022||Privacy in the Metaverse||2022-09-15 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
Iain Barclay , Cardiff U.
|Sept 29, 2022||Verifiable Oversight on AI Systems||2022-09-29 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
|9||Oct 13, 2022||How AI & Metaverse Intersect with the ToIP Stack? New Design Principles for the ToIP Stack||2022-10-13 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
|10||Nov 10, 2022 & Dec 1, 2022||Metaverse - Identity & Data Privacy|
|11||April 13, 2023||The Latest Generative AI, Authentication and Content Authenticity||2023-04-13 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
|12||April 27, 2023||IIW Update: DeepFake, Biometrics, Liveness, OTP, & Wallet||2023-04-27 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
|13||May 25, 2023||Northern Block's Mathieu Interviews Wenjing Chu: Digital Trust in the Age of Generative AI||2023-05-25 AIM TF Meeting Notes|
The deliverables for this Task Force are:
- A survey study report, or a series of reports (White Papers)
- A series of Recommendations or White Papers (or Blogs & other lighter formats)
The following table lists all active white paper (and other formats of reports) currently in progress. We invite more Task Force members to propose new deliverables and/or join any of the current work.
|No.||Primary Authors||Title||Format & Link to the Working Draft||Expected publication date||Notes|
|1||Let's imagine a ToIP landscape vastly enhanced by pervasive AI|
Single blog post
Phil Wolff is pausing this work
|2||Digital Trust in the Age of ChatGPT|
|~ July 2023|
|3||Identity and Payments in Gaming|
|TBD||Links to a Hyperledger work|
Please add your name to this list if you wish to be a lead:
（Note：Anita Rao joined the Task Force as a Co-Chair on the June 8 meeting， and Vikas Malhotra stepped down - Thanks Vikas Vikas Malhotra for all past contributions ）
Membership and Joining
Prior to participating in the meetings please ensure that you are a member of the Trust Over IP Foundation. Contributor level membership is available to anyone at no cost. Details can be found at this link.
To join this TF, add your name to this list (along with your affiliation if your organization is a ToIP member):
- Wenjing Chu , Futurewei
- Vikas Malhotra, WOPLLI Technologies
- Phil Wolff
- John Phillips
- Burak Serdar
- Drummond Reed, Gen
- Zaïda Rivai, Danube Tech Gmbh
- Gwen Pfetsch, Microsoft
- Shannon Wells
- Nuttawut Kongsuwan, Finema
- Sumabala Nair
- Pratyaksh Gupta
- Vladimir Simjanoski, Blokverse
- Mattia Zago– Monokee
- Callum Haslam, BC Gov
- Jacques Bikoundou
- Darrell O'Donnell
- Eric Drury
- Vinod Panicker , Wipro
- Vlad Zubenko
- Gordon Jones - Validide Corp
- Sandy Aggarwal
- Iain Barclay
- RJ Reiser
- Mary Lacity
- Malcolm Sloan
- Chi Hwa Tang - Mixx Reality
- Anita Rao
This group meets on a biweekly basis every other Thursday at 12:00 PM Eastern / 9:00 AM Pacific Time.
- Next Scheduled Meeting: Jan 19, 2023 (Thursday), 9 AM, Pacific Time
Please refer to the previous meeting minutes as well as agenda for the upcoming meeting here.
Our Slack channel is #tswg-aim-tf. Please join us there: https://trustoverip.slack.com/archives/C03G3S7BH8U
Key milestones will include, but are not limited to:
- Phase 1: Survey and White Paper
- Phase 2: Recommendations and/or White Papers
Intellectual Property Rights (Copyright, Patent, Source Code)
As a Task Force (TF) of the Technology Stack WG (TSWG), the AIMTTF inherits the IPR terms from the TSWG JDF Charter. Until 25 October 2023, these are:
- Copyright mode: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0.
- Patent mode: W3C Mode (based on the W3C Patent Policy).
- Source code: Apache 2.0, available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html.
After 25 October 2023, the IPR terms will change to:
- Copyright mode: OWFa 1.0 (available at https://www.openwebfoundation.org/the-agreements/the-owf-1-0-agreements-granted-claims/owfa-1-0)
- Patent mode: OWFa 1.0 (available at https://www.openwebfoundation.org/the-agreements/the-owf-1-0-agreements-granted-claims/owfa-1-0)
- Source code: Apache 2.0 (available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html)
- The AIMTTF is not expected to produce source code.
Mailing List and Communications
This task force uses the following for communications
- Mailing List: No separate mailing list at present (one can always be added if needed).
- Slack: This TF has its own dedicated Slack channel #tswg-aim-tf: https://trustoverip.slack.com/archives/C03G3S7BH8U