The Technology Stack Working Group (TSWG) specifies requirements, specifications, and test suites for the technical architecture of the ToIP stack. For an overview of the ToIP stack, see the Introduction to ToIP white paper. For an overview of the ToIP stack development process, see the Evolution of the ToIP Stack.
Define (directly or by reference) the technical standards, test suites, and interoperability certification standards for the Trust over IP architecture stack consistent with the Design Principles for the ToIP Stack.
Much of the work on deliverables of the TSWG is performed by self-organizing Task Forces (TFs). Following are the current active TFs and their current leads. See their home pages for their meeting schedules.
- Trust Registry TF (TRTF) — Darrell O'Donnell Andor Kesselman Antti Kettunen
- Authentic Chained Data Containers (ACDC) TF — Samuel Smith Phil Feairheller Kevin Griffin
- Technology Architecture TF (TATF) — Wenjing Chu Drummond Reed
- Trust Spanning Protocol TF (TSPTF) — Drummond Reed Wenjing Chu Samuel Smith
- AI & Metaverse (AIM) Technology TF (AIMTF) — Wenjing Chu
- Credential Exchange Protocols TF — Mathieu Glaude
- DID Method webs Task Force – Phil Feairheller, Stephen Curran, Lance Byrd
The following TF has been proposed and approved but is not yet active:
The TSWG currently holds a plenary meeting once every four weeks on Wednesdays in two time slots (one for North America/Europe and one for Asia Pacific time zones):
- NA/EU: 08:00-09:00 PT / 16:00-17:00 UTC
- APAC: 18:00-19:00 PT / 02:00-03:00 UTC
The remaining meetings in 2023 are: Oct 3, Oct 31, and Nov 28 (no meeting in December due to Christmas).
For all authoritative meeting logistics and Zoom links, please see the ToIP Calendar.
See the TSWG Meeting Page for an index of all Meeting Pages with agendas, notes and recordings from all meetings.
The table below lists all TSWG deliverables that have been approved to move beyond Pre-Draft status. Bold = current. Non-bold = future. WG members are welcome to follow the links to contribute, either by joining the responsible Task Force (TF) or contributing directly to a deliverable document.
|Name of Deliverable||Deliverable Type||Link to Deliverable||Task Force||Status|
|Principles of SSI||Recommendation||Completed||ToIP Approved Deliverable|
Design Principles for the ToIP Stack
|Recommendation||Working Group Approved Deliverable (2021-11-15)|
|ACDC Specification Family||Specifications||See ACDC TF home page||ACDC TF||Draft Deliverable|
|ToIP Technology Architecture Specification||Specification||ToIP webpage (with links to the GitHub version and PDF)||ToIP Technology Architecture TF||Draft Deliverable|
|ToIP Trust Registry Protocol Specification||Specification||ToIP wiki page (with links to current versions)||Trust Registry TF||Draft Deliverable|
|ToIP Trust Spanning Protocol Specification||Specification||ToIP wiki page||Trust Spanning Protocol TF||Draft Deliverable|
|did:webs DID Method Specification||Specification||ToIP wiki page||did:webs TF||Draft Deliverable|
Other potential deliverables discussed by TSWG members:
- Laws of Identity (status: PROPOSED) - intended to explain how ToIP maps to Kim Cameron's work. (Google doc draft here.)
How to join
Members as well as observers are welcome (with the important caveat below).
For the protection of all Members, participation in working groups, meetings and events is limited to members, including their employees, of the Trust over IP Foundation who have signed the membership documents and thus agreed to the intellectual property rules governing participation. If you or your employer are not a member of ToIP, you may not participate in meetings by verbal contribution or otherwise take any action beyond observing. To join ToIP and be able to contribute, please fill out the light weight membership application on our website here.
Intellectual Property Rights (Copyright, Patent, Source Code)
The WG inherits the IPR terms from the JDF Charter. Until 25 October 2023, these are:
- Copyright mode: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0.
- Patent mode: W3C Mode (based on the W3C Patent Policy).
- Source code: Apache 2.0, available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html.
After 25 October 2023, the IPR terms will change to:
- Copyright mode: OWFa 1.0 (available at https://www.openwebfoundation.org/the-agreements/the-owf-1-0-agreements-granted-claims/owfa-1-0)
- Patent mode: OWFa 1.0 (available at https://www.openwebfoundation.org/the-agreements/the-owf-1-0-agreements-granted-claims/owfa-1-0)
- Source code: Apache 2.0 (available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html)