Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Date


Zoom Meeting Recording


Main Goals of this Meeting

1) Report on the European Identity Conference, 2) Report on ToIP Technology Architecture Specification progress, 3) Discussion of a proposed AI Trust Issues Task Force.


Agenda Items and Notes (including all relevant links)

TimeAgenda ItemLeadNotes
5 min
  • Start recording
  • Welcome & antitrust notice
  • Introduction of new members
  • Agenda review
  • Antitrust Policy Notice: Attendees are reminded to adhere to the meeting agenda and not participate in activities prohibited under antitrust and competition laws. Only members of ToIP who have signed the necessary agreements are permitted to participate in this activity beyond an observer role.
  • New Members:
    • Christine Martin: Works with Darrell at Continuum Loop, based Ottawa
5 minGeneral announcementsAll

Updates from TSWG members of general interest to the group.

  • EIC Update (Drummond) - 
0 minsReview of Action Items from the previous meetingChairs
15 minsTask Force ReportsTF Leads

Trust Registry TF — Darrell O'Donnell

  • TR Spec - prepare to get out
    • remove ancillaries, focus on markdown and images.

ACDC TF — Samuel Smith Phil Feairheller 

  • IIW renewed interest 
  • Sam pushed draft to IETF

Technology Architecture TF — Wenjing Chu

  • structure of Draft reviewed
  • many issues point to Neil's (5G) concerns being fully handled at Layers 3/4.
  • Adjusted ToC in document shows more structure.
  • D&D raised that we will need a first-class "here's the 4-layer stack" portion of the document. 

15 mins

Report from the European Identity Conference

Highlights included:

  • Lots of discussion of the European Digital Identity Wallets initiative. Here is an excellent overview of the entire EUDI landscape (Medium article for big picture of EUDI).
    • big picture is attractive but the process will be messy
    • The session on the ToIP stack and ToIP Foundation was very well received because we are addressing the precise interoperability problems that the EUDI work is wrestling with.
  • Announcement of the OpenID Verifiable Credentials white paper:
    • This was a major focus of the OIDF members attending—and also a major thrust of GAIN.
  • Lots more discussion about GAIN, the Global Assured Identity Network
    • There were at least a half-dozen sessions on different aspects of GAIN
    • Nick Mothershaw of the Open Identity Exchange gave a session on how they are proceeding with work on a Global Interoperability Framework. This is a huge effort that may take a very long time.
    •  There were also several sessions discussing how BankID systems can be federated together into the GAIN network.
    • The final session was an 11 member panel that included Didier Serra speaking about Avast's perspective on GAIN and Judith Fleenor sharing that the ToIP Foundation is interested in helping with how GAIN could benefit from the ToIP stack.
    • The next step will be further meetings on GAIN at Identiverse in Denver in June.
    • The ToIP Foundation has not formally joined the GAIN Forum but it may consider that step, especially if GAIN agrees to update its original white paper, which is now over a year out of date.
10minsTask Force - AI Trust Issues

Discussion of potential for a task force on AI and trust.

  • do we need to rethink our architecture due to the impacts of AI
  • Wenjing presented at IIW
  • A biometric identifier is regularly floated. AI may present a fundamentally different way of looking at things.
    • e.g. privacy-preserving age recognition could speed up processes.
  • Vikas Malhotra supports concept and will assist Wenjing Chu 
    • added trustworthiness of data;
    • how the AIs work with each other;
    • how does a person determine trustworthiness "on the fly"
    • Create a wiki page with light charter
      • Deliverables:
        • whitepaper
        • proposal future work
    • Vote at TSWG to establish 
  • structured/unstructured trust 
    • e.g. social media models of us are using both, and current systems can't stop that (incentives and controls are out of whack). 

ACTION: Wenjing Chu and Vikas Malhotra to draft a wiki page for the charter of an AI Identity Trust Issue Task Force.

10 minsNext steps for the TSWG after completion of the ToIP Technology Architecture Spec


  • Do we want to look at a layer-by-layer or slice (through all layers) approach to get to an interoperability approach?
  • Wenjing Chu suggests that we can focus on very specific protocols required for interoperability.
    • Drummond Reed suggested that could work well for the OIDC4VC protocols.
  • Daniel Bachenheimer also would like us to define how levels of assurance for both issuers and verifiers are defined in an interoperable way.
5 mins
  • Review decisions/action items
  • Planning for next meeting 


  • None

Action Items

  • No labels