Meeting Date


Zoom Meeting Recording


Main Goals of this Meeting

1) Highlights of Internet Identity Workshop #34, including the ACDC for Muggles presentation given by Drummond Reed and Samuel Smith and the Reference Architecture for the ToIP stack presentation given by Wenjing Chu, 2) discussion of a "hybrid approach" that can accommodate the new protocols the OpenID Foundation is developing to use OIDC with verifiable credentials.


Agenda Items and Notes (including all relevant links)

TimeAgenda ItemLeadNotes
5 min
  • Start recording
  • Welcome & antitrust notice
  • Introduction of new members
  • Agenda review
  • Antitrust Policy Notice: Attendees are reminded to adhere to the meeting agenda and not participate in activities prohibited under antitrust and competition laws. Only members of ToIP who have signed the necessary agreements are permitted to participate in this activity beyond an observer role.
  • New Members:
    • Christine Martin: Works with Darrell at Continuum Loop, based Ottawa
5 minGeneral announcementsAll

Updates from TSWG members of general interest to the group.

  • Drummond Reed mentioned that the European Identity Conference is next week.
0 minsReview of Action Items from the previous meetingChairsThere were no notes from the last meeting due to the Easter holiday.
15 minsTask Force ReportsTF Leads

Trust Registry TF — Darrell O'Donnell

  • Drummond Reed noted the strong interest in the ToIP Trust Registry Protocol Specification by the WHO Expert Group on Digital Health Trust Networks.
  • v1.0 - Document moved to github and work to move comments to Issues is starting.
  • DISCUSS - using one of the weekly TATF meetings to review.
    • ACTION: Darrell O'Donnell and Christine Martin to send out notice to the Technology Stack WG mailing list and Slack channel that we will dedicate the March 12 Technology Architecture Task Force meetings (NA/EU and APAC) to review the ToIP Trust Registry Protocol Specification in depth, and then hold an approval vote at the next TSWG meeting on May 16.
    • ACTION: Darrell O'Donnell will check with Lucy Yang about the status of the WHO trust registry work.

ACDC TF — Samuel Smith Phil Feairheller 

Technology Architecture TF — Drummond Reed

20 minsRecap of highlights of IIW #34

Discussion of major takeaways from the Internet Identity Workshop.

  • Phil Feairheller said that one of the major benefits was attendees being able to meet each other. Drummond completely agreed.
  • Phil said that there were a lot of conversation about KERI and ACDC on the first day that did not include the KERI and ACDC members. But the second and third day those conversations "came around again" to include folks from other projects that were now discussing how they could incorporate KERI and ACDC.
  • This lead to a session held on the third day jointly hosted by Samuel Smith and Markus Sabadello called Building a Tunnel to the KERI Beautiful Island
    • This session showed many examples of how to put a "KERI tunnel" into any DID document using a new type of service endpoint. This can work with almost any DID method — Markus showed examples with a half-dozen well-known DID methods.
    • The GLEIF team also announced they are working on a project called CESROX that will be a Rust for CESR.
    • Drummond Reed said he felt that session was the one that finally convinced a number of developers was something they could realistically start using very soon.
  • Phil summarized that the entire GLEIF team, including CEO Stephan Wolf, attended and gave a total of 12 sessions.
    • Drummond said that his impression was that it made a big difference for IIW attendees to see the depth and breadth of the vLEI infrastructure work, including the vLEI Ecosystem Governance Framework
    • Andre Kudra shared that he was part of discussions where folks were surprised that GLEIF has put so much effort into a tech stack that—so far—no one else is using (which is why Drummond called it the Beautiful Island problem).
10 minsGAIN and the importance of a "hybrid" approach

Discussion of the interest of GAIN in ToIP and the question of how ToIP can accommodate a "hybrid" approach to incorporating protocols like OpenID SIOP and OIDC4VC.

  • Drummond Reed explained that there was strong interest of GAIN representatives in having the ToIP Foundation become another participant in the GAIN Forum.
  • This would require a "hybrid" architecture that would make it clear how a federation protocol like OIDC can fit within and work with the ToIP stack.
  • esatus is one of the leaders in developing such a hybrid architecture that can bridge existing IAM systems. ToIP Steering Member IdRamp has also pursued a hybrid architecture as well.
  • Daniel Bachenheimer mentioned that Accenture recently published a paper about such hybrid systems: 
  • ACTION: Darrell O'Donnell suggests that we put on the agenda for our next meeting the question of where we want TSWG to go post-publication of the ToIP Technology Architecture Specification (which we hope to do by the end of Q2). Daniel Bachenheimer also wants us to define how levels of assurance for both issuers and verifiers are defined in an interoperable way.
5 mins
  • Review decisions/action items
  • Planning for next meeting 


  • None

Action Items

  • No labels