Meeting Date


Zoom Meeting Link / Recording


Main Goal of this Meeting

Agree on schedule for the balance of the Core Four deliverables; presentation on the Cheqd ToIP Layer 1 governance framework.

Agenda Items and Notes (including all relevant links)

TimeAgenda ItemLeadNotes
5 min
  • Start recording
  • Welcome & antitrust notice
  • Introduction of new members
  • Agenda review
  • Antitrust Policy Notice: Attendees are reminded to adhere to the meeting agenda and not participate in activities prohibited under antitrust and competition laws. Only members of ToIP who have signed the necessary agreements are permitted to participate in this activity beyond an observer role.
  • New Members:
5 minsReview of action items from previous meetingChairs
  • ACTION: Drummond Reed to finish his review of the ToIP Governance Metamodel Companion Guide.
  • ACTION: Add links to the table of deliverables on the GSWG home page for each Working Group Approved Deliverable to the GSWG meeting page at which the deliverable was approved.
  • ACTION: Scott Perry and Drummond Reed to arrange a meeting with Savita Farooquito discuss preparing a blog post about the six GSWG approved deliverables that are ready to be approved.
  • ACTION: NEED for Drummond Reedto coordinate with Victor Golubkov to convert the Introduction to ToIP V2 white paper into the ToIP Style Guide template.
  • ACTION: CHAIRS to add a requirement step in our document publish process for adding terms.
  • ACTION: ALL to start populating ToIP Terms Wiki. 
  • ACTION: Drummond Reed to schedule Alex Tweeddale to present at the next meeting on the Cheqd governance framework for their Layer 1 public utility (
5 minsSpecial highlight: A16Z podcast mention of DIDs and decentralized securityScott Perry
  • Scott to give an introduction to the Oct 15 A16Z podcast "Crypto Security and the New Web3 Mindsets for Users".
  • Start at 27:00 and listen to 28:30 to hear the part about "a security network" (which pretty much exactly describes what we are building with ToIP).
  • Then listen from 28:55 to 30:45 to understand why they recommend using DIDs to have as many keys as you want and be able to rotate keys.
5 minsTask Force reportsTF Leads
  • ToIP Stack Design Principles TF — Drummond Reed
    • See Design Principles for the ToIP Stack (Google doc draft)
    • We have a complete first draft that is now in Community Review! <== HOORAY!
    • Drummond emailed the ToIP All-Member mailing list on Tuesday Nov 2
    • The Community Review will also be announced at the All-Member Meeting on Nov 10.
    • Working Group Approved Deliverable call for consensus in the Technical Stack WG will be Nov 15.
    • ToIP Approved Deliverable call for consensus process will start at ToIP Steering Committee meeting Nov 17 (one week).
  • Governance Architecture TF — Drummond Reed
    • Finalizing the ToIP Governance Architecture Specification, the ToIP Governance Metamodel Specification, and the ToIP Governance Metamodel Companion Guide is the next step.
    • Proposed plan:
      • Community Review Drafts circulated to GSWG mailing list by Nov 10.
      • Working Group Approved Deliverable call for consensus at next GSWG meeting Nov 18.
      • ToIP Approved Deliverable call for consensus at Steering Committee meeting Dec 1.
5 minsToIP Core terms wikiDrummond Reed
30 minsCheqd Governance FrameworkAlex Tweeddale

Presentation on the Cheqd ToIP Layer 1 Governance Framework

  • Alex shared this link to the Cheqd GF: 
  • There were many excellent questions during the presentation—some of them below.
  • The governance model is based on using proof-of-stake (POS) using Cheqd tokens.
  • Mary Lacity asked about how Cheqd would protect against the danger of centralization with POS.
    • Alex explained how the design is intended to maximize distribution of the Cheqd network.
  • Scott Perry asked about the danger that the Cheqd token holders act entirely in their self-interest and therefore the biggest stakeholders will dominate the voting and governance.
    • Alex offered several possible options for how excessive domination can be prevented, such as putting a limit on the total stake any one party can have for governance, and requiring a certain overall distribution of nodes.
5 mins
  • Review decisions/action items
  • Planning for next meeting 


  • None

Action Items

  • No labels