The purpose of this ToIP wiki page is to provide a single starting point for anyone who is new to the concept of Trust over IP and wants to start with a high-level picture of the entire purpose and concept of the ToIP stack and the ToIP Foundation.
Currently the two best resources for starting this journey are:
- Introduction to ToIP white paper — this was the original white paper published for the launch of the ToIP Foundation in May 2020. It remains the single best overall introduction to the ToIP stack and the ToIP Foundation. This is now being converted into ToIP deliverable WP0010 (#1 in the "Big Four" below).
- The Trust over IP Stack — this is the original Hyperledger Aries RFC that was first published in August 2019 to establish the overall definition of the ToIP stack. Note: even though many of the ideas for the architecture of the ToIP stack originated with Hyperledger Indy, Ursa, and Aries along together with the SSI identity model, the ToIP stack itself is not tied to any specific implementation, and is designed for global interoperability of decentralized digital trust infrastructure just like the TCP/IP stack is designed for global interoperability of data packet exchange regardless of implementation.
The "Core Four" (aka "Big Four"—the Second Generation of the "Introduction to ToIP" Document Suite)
In late 2020, the ToIP Foundation identified four deliverables that would collectively take the place of the two documents above. Our goal is to have these four deliverables into public review by the end of August 2021. A graphic representation of these "Big Four" to the original two documents is shown below:
The four documents are:
- Introduction to ToIP V2 (WP0010). This will be the second version of the original white paper (#1 above), updated not only with current information (and featuring a new interactive version of the ToIP stack diagram), but with references to the following three foundational ToIP deliverables.
- To volunteer to work on this deliverable: Contact the White Paper Task Force of the Ecosystem Foundry Working Group.
- Recommended skills for working on this deliverable: Anyone who is interested in helping communicate the vision, mission, and work of the ToIP Foundation is welcome to contribute to this deliverable. Messaging, writing, illustrating, or presenting skills are helpful.
- Design Principles of the ToIP Stack (DP0034). This will be a formal ToIP Design Principles document covering the full set of design principles that apply to the overall architecture of the ToIP stack (including its dual stacks of governance and technology).
- To volunteer to work on this deliverable: Contact either the Governance Stack WG or the Technology Stack WG, as this is a joint deliverable of both WGs.
- Recommended skills for working on this deliverable: Background in Internet infrastructure and architecture, especially at the protocol layers, and also on Internet, network, and/or blockchain governance and policymaking.
- ToIP Technical Architecture Specification (TSS0002) This will be the TSS (ToIP Standard Specification) that covers the overall architectural requirements of the ToIP Technology Stack.
- To volunteer to work on this deliverable: Contact the Technology Stack WG where this is currently a Working Draft deliverable.
- Recommended skills for working on this deliverable: Background in any technical discipline related to decentralized digital trust infrastructure.
- ToIP Governance Architecture Specification (TSS0001). This will be the TSS that covers the overall architectural requirements of the ToIP Governance Stack.
- To volunteer to work on this deliverable: Contact the Governance Stack WG where this is currently a Working Draft deliverable.
- Recommended skills for working on this deliverable: Background in any discipline related to Internet, network, or blockchain governance, policy, and trust assurance.