Meeting Date

The GSWG meets bi-weekly on Thursdays at 11:00-12:00 PT / 18:00-19:00 UTC. Check the ToIP Calendar for meeting dates.

Zoom Meeting Recording


Main Goal of this Meeting

1)Vote on remaining Vice Chair position and 2) hear from the Trust Registry Task Force.

Agenda Items and Notes (including all relevant links)

TimeAgenda ItemLeadNotes
5 min
  • Start recording
  • Welcome & antitrust notice
  • Introduction of new members
  • Agenda review
  • Antitrust Policy Notice: Attendees are reminded to adhere to the meeting agenda and not participate in activities prohibited under antitrust and competition laws. Only members of ToIP who have signed the necessary agreements are permitted to participate in this activity beyond an observer role.
  • New Members:
5 minsReview of action items from previous meetingChairs

Neil Thomson is on agenda to speak about the Trust Registry Task Force.  Drummond Reed and Savita Farooqui have been informed of their new elected positions.

5 minsAnnouncementsAll

5 minsUpdate on Governance Task ForcesTF Leads

Carly Huitema explained that the GATF is going to pivot to focus on governance for a specific governance target: trust registries. Governance Architecture Task Force - methodology documentation currently being developed:

Scott Perry said that trust registries are playing an increasingly important role in digital trust ecosystems.

20 minsVice-Chair Candidate Discussion

Five candidates have come forward with interest in the GSWG Vice Chair position: Chris Raczkowski, Salvatore D'Agostino, Keerthi Thomas, and John Phillips.  We'll hear from each of them and discuss/work through the process of electing a candidate.

  • John Phillips: Helped frame up thinking for a governance framework for New South Wales, both for citizenship and birth certificates. Also, being based in Australian, can help represent the APAC region.
  • Chris Raczkowski: would like to see global participation and support. Served extensively in the Sovrin Foundation and on the Sovrin Governance Framework Working Group.
  • Salvatore D'Agostino has also been very involved in digital governance and inclusion with digital technologies for some time, and is willing to help out. But admittedly does not help with the diversity challenge.
  • Keerthi Thomas has dipped in and out of ToIP and would like to get more involved. He's a senior technologist at Digital Catapult, a funded UK technology lab. Sees governance as a major gap in the adoption of decentralized identity and is willing to help out.
  • Steven Milstein is based in Ottawa and has mostly been exposed to digital governance here at ToIP and sees it as the "missing piece" so that decentralized identity does not lead to anarchy.

Scott said that the vice chair position is also a learning opportunity to "learn the ropes" and, if the interest is there, prepare to become a future co-chair of the GSWG.

Drummond pointed out that there is no limit on the number of vice chairs that a WG can have.

Carly also announced that there is availability to be co-chair of the Governance Architecture Task Force for those members that are interested.

Chris and Sal were fine with withdrawing in favor of the other three. 

John was interested in helping Carly and Alex with the Governance Architecture TF because of the APAC time and work being performed.

There was consensus on the following:

DECISION: Steven Milstein and Keerthi Thomas shall join Drummond Reed as vice chairs of the Governance Stack Working Group.

15 minsOverview of the Trust Registry Task ForceNeil Thomson 

Discuss work products and task forces we should be considering this year

Trust Registry Task Force is defining the place of the trust registry in the overall structure of an ecosystem. This will help define requirements of the trust registries.

There was a good discussion of the role of trust registries.

Scott concluded that "a trust registry helps participants make trust decisions" within a particular context.

Scott recommended that anyone interested in the Trust Registry Governance TF try to start attending Trust Registry Task Force meetings (currently Thursdays at 07:00-8:00 PT / 15:00-16:00 UTC for NA/EU and 18:00-19:00 PT / 02:00-03:00 UTC for APAC).

5 mins
  • Review decisions/action items
  • Planning for next meeting 





Action Items

  • No labels