Welcome to the SSI Harms Task Force. Thank you for checking us out!
Our TF Meetings are every 2 weeks on Monday at 18.00 UTC = 11:00 PT = 14.00 ET = 20:00 CET = 23:30 IST and a Thursday at 6.00 UTC = 22:00 PT =7.00 CET = 11:30 IST = 17:00 Melbourne = 13:00 Thailand
(see the ToIP Calendar for details). All those with an interest in or expertise in ethics by design, responsible design and risk management (unlikely partners we know) and social sciences are especially welcome.
You can join our slack channel here
You can join our mailing list here https://lists.trustoverip.org/g/SSIHarms
WHY? "Digital identity is literally 'the keys to the kingdom'. It is the tool by which any entity— individual, group, company, community, nation—can be recognized, empowered, protected, and be held accountable in digital society. If we get it right, it can enable safer, more productive, and more equitable interactions. If we get it wrong, it can be a tool of repression, discrimination, harassment, and fraud. So we have an awesome responsibility to design and develop our digital identity systems to protect from these real-world harms." (Drummond Reed 2022)
PURPOSE Write a white paper and a practical self-assessment tool
- Creates or uses existing framework for analysing the dangers, risks, potential harms and threats (DRiPHT) to people with a particular focus on excluded, marginalized or vulnerable people.
- Articulates the inherent DRiPHT of digital identity and digitisation and how they are mitigated or exacerbated by use of SSI
- Highlights any new DRiPHT introduced by use of decentralized architectures and SSI, and how they could be mitigated
- Recommends practical and ethical approaches in governance, human experience and technical design and deployment for detecting, defending, predicting and recovering from DRiPHT
- Identifies key issues and questions for follow-on work e.g. academic research or other groups of stakeholders to consider
Don't forget to join our [ Insert Link to SLACK CHANNEL]
Make it easier for ToIP members to design and develop SSI solutions that do no harm.
Links & Files
Power, Politics, Hamlet & Harms, IIW discussion deck (14 Oct 2021)
Sovrin I4A Council Discussion Document: Potential Harms of SSI & I4A (Sept 21)
Sovrin Task Force proposal Dec
Also see RESPONSIBLE TECH RESOURCES wiki page
Deliverables & Milestones
|Convene & Shape||Bring TF together, agree approach and target output plus timelines||end Feb||In progress|
|Lit Review||Review literature academic etc (NH)||end Mar|
|HL Paper Design Discussion|
Get wider community input at IIW use StoryBoard style of building a white paper (title, picture and 3 bullets)
Focus on areas we are stuck on at IIW - float
|Personas & Stories||Develop up to 3 stories and persona including groups so that we can address harms / risks etc for those people||end April|
|Deliver||Publish whitepaper||end July|
Nicky Hickman, Darrell O'Donnell
Membership and Joining
Prior to participating in the meetings please ensure that you are a member of the Trust Over IP Foundation. Contributor level membership is available to anyone at no cost. Please add your name to the member list below.
Intellectual Property Rights (Copyright, Patent, Source Code)
As a Task Force (TF) of TOIP, the TF inherits the IPR terms from the JDF Charter. These include:
- Copyright mode: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0.
- Patent mode: W3C Mode (based on the W3C Patent Policy).
- Source code: Apache 2.0, available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html. This TF is not expected to produce source code.
Mailing List and Communications
This task force uses the following for communications
- Mailing List: <TODO>
- Slack: <TODO>