- The CTWG meets bi-weekly on Mondays at 10:00-11:00 PT / 18:00-19:00 UTC. See the ToIP Calendar for the full schedule.
Zoom Meeting Link / Recording
Main Goals of this Meeting
1) Prepare for Internet Identity Workshop 2) Any other business.
Agenda Items and Notes (including all relevant links)
|5 min||General announcements||All|
Any news and updates of general interest to CTWG members
|2 min||Review of previous action items||Chairs|
|15 min||Internet Identity Workshop sessions on concepts and terminology||All|
With IIW coming up next week, are there any particular sessions those of us attending would like to call on Concepts and Terminology?
Neil Thomson is already doing something on authentic data, part of which is getting the ideas (concepts?) straight (e.g., authentic, identity - and specific issues (e.g., integrity), and find out how they are related (making sense of it). It's all context. Perhaps we could use dot-notation, e.g.,
We haven't got to discuss any particular IIW sessions those of us attending would like to call on Concepts and Terminology. Let's ponder and if anything comes up, discuss on slack.
|30 min||Open Discussion|
We have talked a bit about the holder binding paper that was started at RWOT the Hague, and how terminology plays a crucial role in getting the problems properly stated, and how difficult it is for all of us to use that same terminology - even though we agree on them. It becomes increasingly clear that different people use the same terms for different things, and mixing their stories (e.g., with standards such as for VCDM or DIDs) shows people have ideas that are quite problematic. One such idea is thinking that if the holder can prove control over the DID that is the subject identifier in a claim (in a credential) in a presentation, then the holder is the subject of the claim. Another such idea is that the holder should provide (and control) the DID that an issuer uses to represent the holder as the subject of a claim.
Henk van Cann and Neil Thomson elaborated a bit on a new idea, perhaps based on an observation that people typically do not use terminology to express their ideas, but look for the meaning they want to express by 'hunting for terms': one can envisage an author that uses VSCode to write its markdown to have a plugin that can provide a popup with a suggestion of a term to use, with various definitions from different scopes, and selecting one would make it a 'term-ref' - similar to what plugins for programming languages do when you are looking for a particular function to call.
|5 min||Any other business|
|5 mins||Chairs||See review of previous decisions/action items above.|
Screenshots/Diagrams (numbered for reference in notes above)
- Sample Decision Item
- ACTION: Drummond Reed to check with Judith Fleenor about resources on hiring additional resources/budgets in order to complete the Terminology Toolbox 2.0 functionality.
- NOT DONE: Drummond will talk with Judith in person at the LF Member Summit meetings this coming week.
- ACTION: Drummond Reed to offer a meeting on terminology and mental models to the ToIP Technology Architecture V1.0 Spec Editors team.
- NOT DONE: The spec editors have been too busy finishing the first public review draft. This meeting should happen after that is out (and U.S. Thanksgiving is past).