April 1, 2022




10 minBLOG Updates and Approvals:
OIX - SSI Alignment Discussion

2 minCA SB 1190 Letter of Support

2 minEvent Schedule 

5 minOpen Source Summit Mini Summit Name and Description

5 minToIP Events in conjunction with IIW or ECI?

2 minReminder of new processes:

2 minBLOG post drafting process and series branding-Update

2 minAnnouncement Posts - Update

2 minYouTube Channel Uploads

5 minAction Item Updates

2 minLinkedIn Cover Photo/Tagline

As time allowsOpen Discussion


Link - No Recording Available



Judith Fleenor kicked off the meeting with the Anti Trust policy to review and the agenda. Judith Fleenor provided an update regarding BLOG Updates and Approvals. Alex Walz mentioned the Avast blog is currently being worked on . OIX blog - the guide trust framework is up on their page currently and is being reviewed by Daniel that Judith Fleenorsent out to the Communication Committee pre-meeting. Judith Fleenorrecommended Drummond ReedDaniel Bachenheimerand Nick meet to discuss Open Identity content and blog post, prior to travel schedules.  The team agrees that once the guide is reconciled, they should be able to release the blog post. Daniel Bachenheimermentioned concerns regarding that the last several pages, since some of the content is beyond what's needed. He recommends adjustments better articulate the guide to illustrate alignment. Judith Fleenormentioned Nick shared feedback with her regarding the feedback and comments Daniel Bachenheimerprovided.  Mike and Karl (IdRamp) are currently working on a blog post about Decentralized Identity: Keys to mainstream adoption. Judith Fleenorasked for participation from the Communication Committee to help in the process of reviewing the work on this blog effort to help address confusion regarding terms of DID. Drummond Reedmentioned that it's becoming more common practice for folks to utilize this as an acronym in the market that is confusing. Judith Fleenorsuggested maybe we (ToIP) can come up with a better term to reference Decentralized Identity to differentiate with Self Sovereign Identity. Daniel Bachenheimersuggested that we call it DDI Decentralized Digital Identity. Alex Walz shared that we need to select one term and then ensure consistency across all our communications in the future. Judith Fleenorsuggested spelling out the terms consistently as to help newcomers as they join and to illustrate the specific terminology we're working to articulate. EI Dest is ready for public comment on their blog post and is asking for additional feedback on the content of the blog ( ). Drummond Reed is interested to learn more about the content/proposal regarding guidance to Governments regarding decentralized identity. 


Judith Fleenor presented an update on the SB1190 bill that was presented to the Senate Education Committee and shared her testimonial with Tony Rose and shared that the bill is being moved forward to the State Education Committee. Letters in support are due April 15th by noon. Judith Fleenor asked who should be engaged in writing this letter from ToIP. Scott Perry inquired if this is something that is already set to be approved or does our input have tangible value? Judith Fleenor clarified the influence and work in the background that has been happening over the past months to better explain the purpose of this Bill and the need for the support. 

Event Schedule

Judith Fleenorshared the updates regarding EIC, IIW, RSA, Identiverse and OSS Mini Summit. We need to identity an agenda and content for the European OSS Mini Summit. We need to specify the name of our event, a description of the event and the number of attendees we're anticipating. Which time slot do we want to participate in for the Europe OSS? Scott Perrymentioned that this event is in conjunction with the Hyperledger Global Forum and if you're interested in speaking, submissions are due by EOM. Scott Perryhas proposed to speak on Blockchain Networks for this event in Dublin ( Alex Walz asked about how much of the audience overlaps between the two conferences. Judith Fleenorexplained that the OSS registration will include us as a mini summit as an add on to the OSS conference and recommends we request the 2:00pm-5:30pm slot to accommodate travel itineraries for attendees. The Communications Committee TrustOverIP Orientation for Decentralized Identity Community. Marie Wallace will be attending the event and will help with scheduling. Alex Walz will work with Judith to create a description for the event. 


Judith Fleenor inquired if we want to do a pre or post event for IIW? Daniel Bachenheimerasked if there's a virtual element to this event and Judith Fleenormentioned it is not. The event will be at the History Museum as it's been in the past. Judith Fleenorasked if we want to engage in any events for ECI in Germany and Alex inquired if we know who's attending that event. Judith Fleenormentioned that she believes it's mostly the panelist attending, but believes our European supporter will be in attendance and it may be an opportunity to connect with our community members. Alex Walz mentioned the agenda is very busy, but believes it adds value if we have a happy hour event, but folks may be exhausted by the end of it so it may not be worth the additional work to coordinate and schedule

External Inquiries

Benny Jung sent a note to Judith Fleenor inquiring about utilizing our ToIP logo and she shared that we don't have a formal policy in place as ToIP Foundation. Alex Walz has some concerns as it's free publicity but it also can appear as an endorsement. We need to ensure approval is on a case by case basis. Daniel Bachenheimermentioned that we should be able to review the agenda in advance of approving the utilization of our logo to ensure alignment to our mission. Judith Fleenorshared another inquiry from Sophia Young regarding a request for publishing content for ToIP, she's sent her a response and is awaiting to hear back from her regarding her experience and location. Alex and Chris Ingraoprovided feedback that this may not be the most beneficial for us, since the content of the work we do is complex and folks with little experience, may be a challenge. They both suggested we consider providing an opportunity to try and then evaluate her work that may evolve overtime as they learn the technology. Judith Fleenor asked what project should we consider giving someone like this and Chris Ingrao mentioned something more topical, then technical content related material.

Action Item Updates

Judith Fleenor asked Scott Perry for an update regarding the trademark meeting and it needs to be rescheduled.


Judith Fleenor asked for ideas for the tagline for ToIP and asked the Communication Committee to provide feedback and recommendations for consideration that align with our 2022 Goals.

Action Items:

  • Alex Walz to provide recommendation on video content material for multi-use purpose.
  • Drummond and Nick to meet with team regarding Dan's feedback on Open Identity blog/topic. Judith recommended Bryn and IVRamp (Karl or Mike) join the conversation; Drummond to schedule meeting.
  • Judith to draft a letter for the SB1190 and Scott Perry to review
  • Alex Walz will work with Judith to create a description for the event for the Mini Summit
  • What's the location for the OSS Europe? Dublin IE 13-16 September
  • Judith to get a list of attendees for IIW for a mini cocktail event in advance of the conference
  • Judith to connect with Andre to see if there's an opportunity to organize an event for community members who are not attending the event, but are local to the community.
  • Judith to follow up with Sophia about a trial run
  • Trademark Meeting needs to be rescheduled with Daniel and John in attendance 

Action Items from previous meetings:

  • Past Action Item:  Scott Perry and David Lucatch volunteered to work on Trademark registration recommendations.
  • Past Action Item: Judith Fleenorto work with Indicio on getting ToIP content into their Indy/Arise workshop.
  • Past Action Item: Drummond Reed to create a Co-Branding Policy and work with Scott Perryto create a Co-branded version of out templates.
  • Past Action Item: Drummond Reedto create a BLOG about the OIX MOU when that MOU has been created and approved by both SCs. Judith Fleenorto follow-up with Nick Mothershaw.  Judith Fleenorto continue to follow-up with Jory on the re-write and resubmit to SC.
  • Past Action Item: Daniel Bachenheimersaid help with a BLOG about mDL and VCs.
  • Past Action Item: Judith Fleenorto coordinate with Kaliya Youngand Chris Kelly about Cross Collaboration on papers and communications after Thanksgiving.
  • Past Action Item: Judith Fleenorto add event schedule topic to the next Comms Meeting agenda.
  • Karen Hand to present this in the next EFWG and identify who would be the best POC to drive the top priorities to drive deliverables and effort
  • Scott Perry  and Drummond Reed to update/changes templates and the style guide (1/14). We need to identify a POC to own this in the future.
  • Drummond Reed to add the co-branding to the template documents and style guide Drummond Reed Introduction to White Paper & Design Principles Paper 
  • Elisa TrevinoJudith Fleenor, @AlexMetcalf, Drummond ReedJim St.Clair  to help drive decisions on the look and feel of the website.
  • Jim St.Clair LFX platform demonstration for project management in an up-coming Steering Committee meeting.
  • Judith Fleenor follow-up on End of Year surveys
  • @JudithFleenor to send a note to the Comms slack channel regarding their input for the LinkedIn cover photo.
  • Judith Fleenor to schedule landing session for Wenjing Chu and Chris Ingrao for 3pm on Monday January 24th to discuss  focus for 2022.
  • Judith Fleenor to provide access to the shared drive for the link provided at the top of the meeting (
  • Judith Fleenor to send an email to the SC regarding the details for the trademark efforts.
  • Alex Metcalf to post the discussion papers these to LinkedIn 
  • Ajay Madhok create an editorial calendar review/outline a strategy of the efforts for ToIP video content
  • Judith Fleenor to invite Alex Walz to the OIX discussion next week
  • Daniel Bachenheimer to find out if Accenture is a member of OIX
  • Judith Fleenorto confirm with John Jordanon quote for OIX blog.
  • @Alex Walz to help @ScottPerry on the Schellman blog and press release 
  • Judith Fleenor to add bullet points to the blog for Scott Perry to review and edit accordingly & pending a ToIP quote from a SC member (John Jordan)