Meeting Date




Main Goal of this Meeting:

To introduce Judith Fleenor as our new ToIP coordinator and discuss in more depth the dedicated use of a Confluence wiki. 


5 min

Start recording
Welcome & Antitrust Policy Notice
Introduction of new members
Agenda review
Review/accept notes and action items of previous meeting

10 minsIntroduction of Judith Fleenor as our new ToIP coordinatorChairs
30 minsDiscussion of using a dedicated Confluence wiki as the "front end" for the ToIP terminology corpusChairs
10 minsOpen discussion

5 minsReview of Decisions and Action Items and planning for next meeting Chairs


  • link to the file


  • link to the file


  • File 1 - link


  1. New members
  2. Introducing Judith Fleenor as our new ToIP coordinator
    1. Judith is now available at <== please use this email for her from now on
    2. Main career track has been technical and computer training—was Worldwide Training Director for Netscape
    3. Has had a longtime interest in identity and has worked on the U.S. IDESG and NSTIC initiatives
    4. Rieks asked about the role of terminology in technology and identity
    5. Judith underscored the need for having a good source context document—and then consistency
    6. We did introductions of the other CTWG members present on the call (see list above)
  3. Discussion of using a dedicated Confluence wiki as the "front end" for the ToIP terminology corpus
    1. Drummond for Judith explained the background to the question about potentially using a dedicated Confluence wiki as a "front end" to the terminology corpus
    2. Daniel Hardman explained the potential role of the wiki as an input tool for the ToIP "Termopedia"
    3. Judith asked about the outputs from the terminology corpus
      1. Daniel Hardman explained that the ToIP Term tool would enable exports from the terminology corpus that could be published in various ways.
      2. Rieks Joosten explained the importance of scopes as establishing the context for the definitions created by different stakeholders communities.
      3. This overall design encourages those stakeholders to harmonize terms across their scopes. This could get some subset of the terms in the terminology corpus to align and have the greatest overall utility.
      4. It provides the flexibility for each stakeholder group to manage their own terminology and glossary entries while leaving it open to harmonization.
    4. Scott Perry shared from the perspective of the Trust Assurance Task Force in the Governance Stack Working Group that we need to start to publish about the concepts that are new in the context of decentralized digital trust infrastructure.
      1. Individual ToIP deliverables, such as the ToIP Governance Metamodel, will need terminology sections.
      2. Brian Dill shared that mapping between different words are quite important for shared understanding
      3. Rieks Joostensaid that "any effort that requires stakeholders to give up a term they are using (because they need it) will fail if there is no sound alternative".
        1. He gave the example of the term "risk" at ISO that has over 40 definitions now
        2. ToIP has an even larger community to serve
        3. So it must be based on a collective cooperative voluntary effort that seeks to fulfill the actual needs of those that use terms
        4. No one needs to rely on others to define their terminology.
      4. Rieks Joosten said that the point is not to harmonize, but to enable one party to (demonstrably) understand what another means when using a specific term. It's also prerequisite for sharing terms and definitions in a (literally as well as figuratively) meaningful way.
    5. Judith shared her observation that there are two goals here
      1. The Termopedia need for shared terminology
      2. Publishing terms in deliverables starting ASAP
    6. Rieks Joosten it's important to allow the authors define their terms first, and then let the discussion about mapping and harmonization process
      1. Scott Perry disagreed, saying that the stakeholders need to agree on the terms
      2. Rieks Joosten pointed out "that is not reality" because such a list of the same terms with all their meanings exist today.
  4. Open discussion
  5. Review of Decisions and Action Items and planning for next meeting


#1 — 


  • Sample Decision Item

Action Items

  • Sample Action Item

  • No labels