The purpose of the GSWG Governance Architecture Task Force (GATF) is to draft specifications and companion guides for ToIP-compatible governance frameworks (regardless of their governance targets in the ToIP stack). The first generation of this TF, completed in December 2021, developed the foundational requirements for all ToIP-compatible governance frameworks (summarized in this ToIP blog post). The second generation, which will begin in September 2022, will tackle specifications and companion guides for specific governance framework components.
- ToIP Governance Architecture Specification—a specification of the overall layer-independent requirements that any ToIP-compliant governance framework must meet.
- ToIP Governance Metamodel—a specification for the standard model for ToIP-compliant governance frameworks.
- ToIP Governance Metamodel Companion Guide—the "instruction manual" for the above.
- ToIP Governance Framework Matrix—a tool for governing authorities to plan and organize their work on developing their own ToIP-compliant governance frameworks.
- ToIP Governance Framework Matrix Companion Guide—the "instruction manual" for the above.
The second generation GATF will be focused on developing templates, guides, and methodologies for specific types of governance framework documents whose governance targets are specific components of the ToIP stack (e.g., DID utility, key storage module (KSM), digital wallet, endpoint system, trust registry). The specific deliverables will be determined by the TF once it gets underway.
Rather than breaking down Governance into ToIP layers, we have decided to take a ‘component’ based approach. “A specific component of the ToIP stack (at any layer) identified by the ToIP Technology Architecture Specification or by a ToIP component specification. Examples: DID utility, key storage module (KSM), digital wallet, endpoint system, trust registry, revocation registry.”
Outputs can include:
- A guide for new users to follow
- Training outline/plan (Governance 101) - maybe a one-off recorded training session
- Technical requirements and suggestions for including governance requirements within a particular stack
Outputs will be documented here in the confluence wiki. Ongoing work will happen within the ToIP GSWG google drive (ToIP members only).
Please add your name to this list if you wish to be a lead of the second-generation GATF:
Please add your name to this list if you wish to participate:
This TF schedules meetings as needed. Each meeting will be announced on the GSWG mailing list and the #governance-architecture-tf Slack channel.
Index of Meeting Notes and Recordings
There are two GATF meetings:
Wednesday at 7pm EST/4pm PDT/Thursday 9am AEST
Thursday at 6pm AEST/10am CEST/3pm GMT+7h
The meetings are available on the ToIP meeting calendar
Key milestones for the second-generation deliverables will be determined once the TF gets underway.
Intellectual Property Rights (Copyright, Patent, Source Code)
As a Task Force (TF) of the Governance Stack WG (GSWG), the GATF inherits the IPR terms from the GSWG JDF Charter. These include:
- Copyright mode: Creative Commons Attribution 4.0.
- Patent mode: W3C Mode (based on the W3C Patent Policy).
- Source code: Apache 2.0, available at http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html. The GSWG TA TF is not expected to produce source code.
Mailing List and Communications
This task force uses the following for communications
- Mailing List: This TF does not currently maintain a separate mailing list (but one can be added if needed).
- Slack: This TF has its own dedicated Slack channel:
I got myself freed up from another obligation and will have more time available to help as an editor.