A core principle of the Trust over IP Foundation is self-organization—encouraging members to form new Working Groups or Task Forces as they best see fit to best drive the work forward. This page describes the simple, lightweight process for doing this.
To Form a New Working Group (WG)
A Working Group is a formal collaboration forum with an official charter based on a Joint Development Foundation (JDF) template. Only Working Groups can develop official Trust over IP Foundation deliverables.
- Hold informal discussions as needed with your own team or other members to develop your idea to the point you are ready to propose it.
- Create a new wiki page (under the top-level Home page here) to describe the new WG. Make the page name the proposed name of your new WG. Add the word "Proposed" in parens after the title.
- Use the page to describe the Mission and Scope, Conveners, Interested Members, Description, and any other pertinent information that other ToIP Foundation members might need to decide if they are interested in participating.
- Once you have determined there is enough interest to proceed (which is strictly your decision—there is no specific threshold), update the wiki page to contain the rest of the details needed for your proposed Working Group Charter. This consists of:
- Name of the WG
- Statement of scope
- Contact the Executive Director for the other details needed (choice of patent mode, software license, copyright license—for consistency, the recommended defaults used by all four of the initial ToIP Foundation WGs have all been selected on this sample template)
- Once you are ready, notify the Executive Director that you are ready to submit your Charter for approval by the ToIP Steering Committee (which meets monthly).
To Form a New Task Force (TF)
A Task Force is a lightweight informal self-organization mechanism that does not require a formal JDF charter. A Foundation-wide TF can be formed directly under the Steering Committee (SC), and a Working Group TF can be formed under any WG. A TF requires a wiki page but any other formal mechanisms or approvals are optional.
- For a Foundation-Wide TF, discuss your proposal with the Executive Director or any SC member; for a WG TF, discuss your proposal with the WG Chairs or other WG members.
- When you are ready to proceed, add a new wiki page under the wiki page for the TF parent.
- For a Foundation-Wide TF, add it under the Home page.
- For a WG TF, add it under the WG Home page.
- Make the page name the proposed name of your new TF. No need to add "Proposed" unless you want explicit approval from the SC or parent WG.
- Add the names of the initial TF members (and invite others who want to join to add their names).
- Add a Description of the objectives, deliverables, proposed schedule, and any other pertinent information that other ToIP Foundation members might need to decide if they are interested in participating
- Begin your work (unless you want to seek explicit approval from the SC or parent WG first).